The Congregation of the Sisters of the Imitation of the Christ was founded by His Grace Mar Ivanios in 1925 in the Jacobite Church. “Sanyasam”, the idea of dedicated life for women was unknown till then in the Malankara Church. With the founder, the whole Congregation – the 10 members of the Community – re – united with the Catholic Church in 1930. Bethany – an active Congregation lays emphasis on liturgical life, as a life of prayer and contemplation. The spiritual upliftment of the Malankara Catholic Church is the primary objective of the Congregation. The Congregation was given Pontifical Status in 1956. Since the re-union, the Congregation is growing rapidly. There are five Provinces namely Trivandrum, Tiruvalla, Bathery, Pathanamthitta, and Muvattupuzha under one Mother General. There are more than 840 Sisters, 6 Novices and about 45 Candidates in the Congregation. The Sisters are working in India and abroad. The Generalate is in Kottayam.